Friday, April 16, 2010

The Apron and the Artist

Did you ever have something you just couldn't throw away, like a pair of shoes that you couldn't wear any longer in public or a pair of jeans softened to perfection with age? My little blue apron is one of those things. I need to shop for a new one but you see the one I wear everyday in the studio has been around for so many years and well...there are memories we share with one another.

This apron started the journey with me almost 20 years ago. It has been to New York and Brooklyn, San Francisco, Houston, stayed for a bit in Atlanta and now finds a home on the shelf in my east Austin studio. Although it's covered with paint, crusted over with wax, the pockets are filled with scraps of paper, business cards, and other little things that live in the darkness I can't seem to part with it. I look at everyday and say, it's time--you gotta go!! I need to throw you away and replace you with a newer one, a younger one, a softer one but then I untie it at the end of the day, fold it and put it back on the shelf. I always know it will be there tomorrow...

1 comment:

  1. Love it! I'm in a purging phase right now but this definitely captures what shouldn't be thrown away. Love your posts, Sharon!

    ReplyDelete